Everything you need to know about discipline to raise a happy, well-adjusted, well-behaved child-from America's foremost baby and childcare experts Disciplining children means equipping them with the tools to succeed in life. In this unique guide, Dr. Bill and Martha Sears, the pediatrics specialists whose books on birth, babies, and parenting have become widely praised bestsellers, explain what you can do to shape your child's behavior so that good conduct comes naturally. With a focus not just on managing behavior problems but also on preventing them, the Searses offer clear, practical advice on a broad range of disciplinary issues, including:
• mother's role vs. father's role
• developing the connection with your baby that will make discipline easier in years to come
• saying no
• taming temper tantrums
• self-esteem as the foundation of good behavior
• helping a child to express feelings
• the constructive use of anger
• good nutrition for good behavior
• sleep and nighttime discipline
• sibling rivalry
• spanking and alternatives to spanking
• how to eliminate bothersome behaviors such as whining and talking back
• how to respond when your child lies, cheats, or steals
• discipline after divorce and in the single-parent household Drawing on nearly thirty years of the Searses' experience as childcare professionals and as the parents of eight children, The Discipline Book will make you confident in your ability to correct undesirable behavior, to promote good behavior, and to instill the values that will help your child become morally literate.
A guide by two pediatricians who have raised eight children together discusses self-esteem, spanking, divorce, single parenting, travel, and baby-sitting, and offers advice on how to prevent, as well as stop, problem behavior.