|Home About Us Search FAQ My Account Blog|
Wool Use & Care
Wool is an amazing, natural fiber, and it makes a great diaper cover!
Here are some reasons you want to use wool covers:
-Wool is very breathable...it is great in hot or cold weather.
-Wool can absorb up to 30% of it's own weight in moisture before it starts to feel wet.
- It is so comfortable to wear!-Wool does not need to be washed very often. When the lanolin in the wool reacts with urine, a chemical reaction occurs, and the urine is neutralized! It self cleans itself this way until it starts to run out of lanolin, then it will need to be re-lanolized.
It can be washed every 2-3 weeks unless you get poop on it. If your wool feels damp or wet after wearing it, simply lay it out flat to air out and let the wool do its job of self cleaning. Lanolizing only needs to be done every 2 or 3 months depending on how often its washed. The instructions below will help you care for your wool. We recommend Eucalan Wool wash, or Imse Vimse Wool Shampoo because it combines these steps, as the lanolin is right in the wash. Many people choose to combine wool wash products; using liquid wool wash for general cleaning, a wool wash bar for spot cleaning heavily soiled areas.
Washing your wool:
1. Rinse your wool in cool water.
4. Soak for at least 30 minutes, longer if you need more lanolizing.
5. Drain water, and rinse with cool water.
6. Lay a towel folded in half for you to lay your wool on; take the wool out of the water and gently squeeze the excess water out, do not wring. It is imperative you squeeze gently and to not pull or stretch your wet wool.
Lanolizing is recommended for new wool covers, and when your cover begins to lose it's waterproofing. You can re-lanolize at the same time as you wash.
1. Covers should be turned inside-out.
2. In mug filled with boiling water, add a few drops of wool wash and a ¼ inch of lanolin per pair of wool covers you plan to lanolize. Stir to completely dissolve.
3. Add this lanolin mixture to a sink of tepid water and ever so slightly agitate.
the covers for at least 30 minutes.
Copyright © 2009-2011 Modern Natural Baby. Formerly No Pins Required. Web Design by Boutique Design Studio