Part-time sales associate(s) for our Ferndale storefront.
We are looking for intelligent, kind, outgoing, self-motivated folks who will fit in well with our store.
What exactly does a sales associate at Modern Natural Baby do?
One thing about small business and retail, each day will be different than the last! A successful sales associate is able to balance the daily to-do list while at the same time putting customers’ needs (both in-store and over the phone) first. His/her patience and kindness comes through in every interaction. S/he is motivated to move quickly, efficiently, and doesn’t shy away from a challenge. In short, we work really hard, but also have a lot of fun doing it.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Welcome: Create a welcoming environment for customers at Modern Natural Baby.
- Product Knowledge = Educate, Educate, Educate: most of our products (especially cloth diapers and baby carriers) require a level of understanding, and it will be your job to help teach, in a succinct and understandable manner, how these products function in a family's day-to-day life.
- Selling, But At the Same Time, More Than Selling: Engage with customers on a meaningful level, understanding where their life is and where their family is, and then demonstrate how MNB can best match those wants and needs. Our staff is our number one advocate in the community, and your daily interactions help set that tone.
- Receive: Check-in, sort, price and shelve new inventory. This includes inputting info for new products and updating the website for new products.
- Online Assistance: Pull, sort, and prepare all online orders for shipping, including contacting a customer if product ordered is unavailable.
- Inventory Updates: Count and confirm product inventory numbers.
- Visual Merchandising: Help contribute to the window and in-store displays.
- Day-In, Day Out: Execute opening and closing checklists as well as daily to-do list.
- XOXO: Make goggly eyes at new babies. Help a momma to her car. Find an age-appropriate toy for a very excited toddler whose parents just need five more minutes to think clearly. Help the new dad find the perfect gift for his wife. All of this and more.
- Competent customer service skills
- Cheerful, comforting and kind personality
- Able to lift 40lbs
- Able to stand for 6-8 hours per shift
- Weekend and holiday availability
- Knowledge of store products; knowledge of cloth diapering and babywearing preferred but not required
- Ability to use technology to process transactions, input inventory and update the store website.
- Reliable transporation.
We’re looking for enthusiasm and a genuine, caring attitude- someone who loves helping others, and can strike up a conversation easily. We want a team member who is open to a wide variety of parenting styles and can relate to other parents with empathy (not judgment!) and who can sensitively discuss topics ranging from menstruation and fertility to birth, breastfeeding, and beyond. Our ideal candidate will have previous retail/sales experience, and be passionate about living an eco-friendly lifestyle.
Ready to Apply?
Please send a cover letter and resume to me, Emily, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Not sure what to include in your cover letter? Here are some questions to help start you out:
- At MNB we are a small family business, and see our employees as an extension of this family. We want the dynamic to be fantastic for everyone! Why do you want to work for us, and what makes you a good fit?
- Much of our customer interaction is focused on education, as most of the items we carry in the store are a brand new foray for the families who come in, and will require some 101. What past experience - personal or professional - has prepared you well for this education component?
- In short, without meeting our sales goals, MNB doesn’t exist. We strive to ensure each interaction is authentic to our staffer’s personality, and no two employees sell the same way. Are you comfortable selling to people?
- Which of our products are your personal favorites?
- Anything else we should know about you?
Please be sure to also include availability, and total desired hours in your cover letter.
We look forward to hearing from you!
If you submitted an application during our previous call for applicants, we still have your application on file. Once we receive all submissions we will then revisit availability, qualifications and skill sets and be in touch if we would like to interview. If anything has changed since the last time you applied, feel free send an updated resume and cover letter.